Strategies For You & Affiliate Chapters
January 22, 1973: The Supreme Court makes abortion legal through all stages of pregnancy for any reason.
On the same day, the Supreme Court decision in Roe v Wade basically said that they could not determine when a preborn became a human being or a person - ignoring evidence of biological and sociological sciences and even our English language. And so they stripped the preborn's right to life.
The Supreme Court decision in Doe v Bolton basically legalized abortion through all stages of pregnancy, including grueling partial birth abortion - all on the basis of 'mother's health' - interpreted freely to include the inconvenience of the mother!
In 1978, Alabama Citizens for Life (ACL) began lobbying for Pro-Life Legislation.
• 1987 Parental Notification and Consent Law Enacted
• 1997 Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act / Ban abortion on Post-Viable Babies
• 2002 Womens Right to Know, Informed Consent with 24 hr waiting Period
• 2002 Choose Life Tag thru DMV
• 2006 Unborn Victims of Violence Act including provisions for Court to appoint “Guardian” legal counsel to unborn
• 2010 Pain Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Bans Abortions after 19 weeks
Alabama Abortions Decline by 50% Since Peaking to 20,780 in 1980
Pro-Life efforts saved 201,639 babies lives over last 30 years!
Between 1973 and 1979, 68,470 abortions were reported to the Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH). Abortions peaked in 1980 at 28,500 reported abortions.
Print Alabama Abortion Statistics
2011: Abortions by Age of Woman
2011: Abortions by Age of Preborn
2011: Abortions by Race
2011: Abortions by Previous Live Births & Previous Abortions
2011: Abortions by Marital Status
2011: Abortions by Education
2011: Abortions by Consent for Girls Under 18
You can find a 3 page printable file of the above statistics at the Alabama Department of Public Health website.